Monday, January 5, 2009

The Phone-call

Well, I stand duly chagrined for not being more patient. The day after I complain about waiting on my blog, the phone call comes through.

It happened today while I was working on my computer from home. My desk started vibrating, and I glanced at the face of my phone to see who it was. Not recognizing the number, I got that familiar jolt of excitement as I anticipated what I hoped was a call from the fire-department, but I didn't want to get my hopes up until I picked up the phone.

Sure enough, after giving my standard greeting ("Hello, this is Ethan". Not too formal, but still letting the party know who they're speaking with), I was informed that this call was originating from the Fire District. However, not wanting to give away the verdict in the opening statement, the man on the other end of the phone proceeded to tell me the origin of the decision. Like a game show host, he slowed down to build the tension:

"After conducting your interview....and discussing your merits....and making our recommendations to the executive board....and receiving a decision....and grabbing some lunch...and finishing up some paperwork that got held up last week because of the weather...we have decided...............that we would like you to be a part of our organization".

Man, it felt like he milked that last pause for all it was worth. Of course, it could just be my anticipation making the whole thing seem to slow down, but I was DYING to hear that last part. It's really happening! Now I know that come February 10, I'll be starting the training that will help me save lives in the years to come. My most recent dream-come-true. I finished my conversation with the official, thanking him for his time, and began a private celebration in my head as I contemplated the glory of the days to come.

Then the phone rings, this time my brother on the line:

"Hey, probie!"

Great...So now THAT part starts.....

No comments:

Post a Comment